Translation is a one-for-all industry, that is to say that people with different academic background can claim themselves translators. There is no special school and training to attend to be a translator. In Indonesia, especially, many people can easily call themselves translators just because they know two or more language. To be a good translator, however, one needs to have certain qualities, adequate experience, and a proof of his qualification; and here are several reasons why I am qualified to provide translations to your need:
- Certified. A certified translation means a translation that is accompanied by the translator's statement certifying that his translation is true and accurate according to the original document. Of course, not everyone has the credibility and qualifications to certify their own translation. Typically, a translator is considered having the credibility and being authorized to certify their translation if they have been professionally-acknowledged by the relevant authority. In Indonesia, the said authority is Himpunan Penerjemah Indonesia (HPI), a.k.a. the Indonesian Translators Association. As a translator, I am certified by the HPI for both English-Indonesian and Indonesian-English translation.
- Experienced. In any industry and for any services, experience and excellent services trump everything. Choosing an experienced translator, moreover one that can provide professional references to testify about his/her excellent works, is certainly much more preferable than choosing one that lacks experience. I have six years of experience as a translator and have translated various documents, websites, and applications, particularly in business and marketing field.
- Specialized. No translator can master all niches, so one should choose only certain fields. A translator specialized in a certain field has much more extensive experience in such a field and in translating the relevant documents than one that is not. Therefore, choose a translation service provider that specialzes in a certain fields suited to your documents. As a translator, I am specialized in business and corporate, legal, social sciences, and information technology (including games and apps localization). For more information about my specializations, click here.
- CAT Tools-supported. There are a number of reasons why CAT Tools leverage translation works. The most important reasons that many would agree, however, is because CAT Tools ensure the consistence of the translation. Another reason, CAT Tools enables us to build a terminology, which in turn is crucial in a large-scale localization work. Understanding the importance of such technology in increasing the productivity and the quality of translation, I am a proficient user of several CAT Tools such as SDL Trados Studio, Wordfast Pro, and MemoQ.
- Linguistic and Translation Academic Background. Academic background in linguistic and/or translation is perhaps just an additional factor to consider in choosing a translation service provider, but in certain cases can be a determining one. A translator with linguistic background is more theoretically-equipped with strategies and approaches that can be at their disposal to tackle any linguistic and translation problems in practice. As a translator, I have passion for translation both as an art, a business, and an academic discipline. I have a Bachelor's Degree in English Linguistics and right now am working on my Master's Thesis in translation.